Pages

Sunday 31 July 2011

Along For The Ride by Sara Dessen

Rating: 4 Stars

For some reason I've always steered clear of these kinds of books, chick-lit, I had this idea that all of them are boring and cliche.I've seen 'Along for The Ride' a while, and it always tugged at a part of my mind, practically screaming "Read me! You wouldn't regret it, I promise! Perty please!" well I gave it a try and to my surprise I wasn't disappointed!

This is my first Sara Dessen and I really admire how she captured Auden. You could relate to her, how she felt about her parents’ divorce to her social isolation.

Oh, and Eli! Even I have a crush on him! He’s totally unlike that jerk brother of his, Jake.He really cares about her. He made Auden realize that she has a second chance to have a childhood she didn't have. The guy was sort of a reck at the begining, not talking to anyone since the accident until Auden came, which was kind of sweet. She helped him as much he had helped her. Now he talks and begins to joke around like he used to, before Abe's death.

I also liked how Auden and Eli didn't get into all that boyfriend-girlfriend routine, holding hands and kissing all the time and going gaga over each other eek!That's what really turn me off of with these books.

Her dad was a selfish bastard and he was going to make the same mistake twice! He needs his nine hours of sleep, sheesh! Heidi needed more than he did by far and deserved as much. She was on the verge of a meltdown, but lucky Auden was there.


Aude got really attached to Isby(part Thisby and part Isabel), something else she didn't see coming.Aud and her mom had made assumptions about Heidi but she was alright and I guess surprised that she did turn out to be not so bad after all. But I can't say the same for the office in Clementine's, just hearing about it made me want to gag. I wasn't all for the girly-girl kind of thing. It was nice to see that she finally made friends, Maggie, Leah and Ester were all nice. The nine o' clock dance got me though! That was cool and original, well at least I didn't come across that before.

On the subject on Aude's mom...that woman's a piece of work. The whole I'm-superior-than-you kind of thing really sends people running, but I think she's fine with that or she isn't even aware of it. In the end though, she's better than her husband.

Finally in the end, Auden made a bunch of friends and found a way to keep in touch with Eli and the rest. I relieved to see that they finally ended the debate on what to call Clyde's bike shop, with a proper name too.

All in all it was a fun read, not too much and not too little, after all less is more, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment