Pages

Wednesday 26 October 2011

Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson #2) by Patricia Briggs

 
Rating: 5 Stars

Goodreads blurb
Mechanic Mercy Thompson has friends in low places-and in dark ones. And now she owes one of them a favor. Since she can shape-shift at will, she agrees to act as some extra muscle when her vampire friend Stefan goes to deliver a message to another of his kind. 

But this new vampire is hardly ordinary-and neither is the demon inside of him.

The Cover
Would you look at all them tattoos!I was never one for them,uh-uh.But Mercy pulled it off nicely and she has this don't-mess-wid-me-look!But still ... I think the tattoos were a bit too much.


My review
You will find that a majority of this review may consist of my opinion of the supposed love-triangle. Blood Bound was more fast paced than Moon Called.It had me day-dreaming more than I care to admit.I don't like love-triangles and the one in this series has me almost screaming to Mercy,"Pick one of 'em already,woman!" Honestly,I'm not sure to say who I prefer Mercy to choose, Adam or Samuel,not that my choice matters because Mercy doesn't take my advice.

Adam and Mercy had a rather bumpy-smooth relationship, pissing each other off every other day but things visibly change in the previous book.It turns out that Adam had a thing for Mercy for a while now and his feelings came out into the open by the end of Moon Called.Mercy has this attraction towards Adam too but she's afraid of her reactions towards him and tries to avoid him.He had admitted that it was his alpha power thingy was what was responsible for Mercy feeling that she wanted to submit to him and told her he tries to withdraw that part of him when he's with her away from the pack, well most of the times.

As for Samuel who had nearly ran away with Mercy some 15 years ago, only wants her so that she could give him living children.He broke her heart but he apologized to her for using her like that but he also makes it clear that he's still interested.I dislike him for his motives, but wanting children that would live after he's seen the ones he had died doesn't make him evil and loathsome, he should have been more open and honest with Mercy in the first place ... but she was around 16 then and probably more unstable back then than now.
 She had mentioned that he was the only wolf there,excluding Bran I think, who had stuck up for her because the others had hated her for being a walker.Maybe that was due to her being his almost-mate but he still stood up for her nevertheless.But in the present, I have a part of me that thinks  he's actually developed feelings for her.

Long story short, I sort of like them both but what made me pause is Stefan's rather peculiar behaviour,I mean he's supposed to be a really good undead friend of hers but I, and I'm sure others as well, had noticed that Stefan has been making some moves towards Mercy, or that could just be him being all charming,ya. So if he likes her more that a chummy Scooby-Doo loving vampire would, it wouldn't be a love-triangle anymore ... I still don't like this, not one bit.But I still really like Stefan because he seems to be the only decent vampire in the series.

The culprit wasn't totally obvious but I had a tiny-weeny suspicion who it was.I think 'Littleton' is kind of a funny-ish name for a vampire,don't you think?  Briggs sure didn't spare us the gory details. Just when you thought werewolf pack structure and terms and conditions are complicated, vampire politics just gives me a migraine!

We see again that Mercy is willing to risk her life so that others wouldn't have to suffer. Butt-kicking, headstrong,selfless,stubborn coyote/mechanic and a disobey-er of direct 'orders', that's Mercy Thompson for you,don't we just lover her?

Link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/285205.Blood_Bound

No comments:

Post a Comment